Under general oversight, provide legal business support and claim management to the Surety business unit. In this role, counsel underwriters on all legal issues related to the Surety business including the risk mitigation. Review contracts, surety bond forms and other documents related to the Surety business.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Answer legal questions posed by underwriters that impact underwriting decisions, combining legal research with knowledge gained based on experience handling claims.
- Advise underwriters regarding the legal effect of bond and policy language and the extent of coverage.
- Answer legal questions posed by non-lawyer claim professionals to assist them in determining the legal standards applicable to claim handling and claim decisions.
- Review contracts, licenses and permits that Company’s surety clients request to be bonded and provide legal advice to underwriters concerning the risks presented in guaranteeing the contracts.
- Advise underwriters as to the legal effects of contracts for which accounts have or may seek bonds in order to assist the underwriters in providing risk mitigation advice to accounts.
- Assist in other duties and projects as needed.
Education & Experience
Requires a law degree and 4-6 years of relevant surety experience.
Knowledge, Skills, & Competencies
- Ability to use analytical methods in complex claim processes to find workable solutions.
- Ability to generate innovative solutions within the claim department.
- Ability to communicate findings and recommendations to management on claim department matters.
- Ability to communicate effectively on claim matters.
- Ability to manage and develop subordinates to ensure increased performance.
- Ability to use software to summarize and analyze large amounts of complex data.
- Ability to apply a strategic perspective to improve claim functions.
Job Type: Full-time