The Conflicts Attorney works with Conflicts and Ethics Counsel, Director of Conflicts/New Business, and others in the Office of the General Counsel to identify and resolve potential legal and business conflicts, perform thorough due diligence on potential new firm clients, and help ensure best practices and adherence to firm policies and procedures in client intake. This position is responsible for the conflicts process for all new business and performs duties in coordination with the Director of Conflicts/New Business to ensure a comprehensive and synchronized conflict-of-interest process.
- Analyzes and facilitates clearing conflict reports, determining where conflicts exist, documents those instances, proposes resolutions directly to the submitting attorney along with the Director of Conflicts/New Business, and/or Conflicts and Ethics Counsel as necessary
- Coordinates timely documentation of resolution with respect to new business submissions
- Reviews new business conflict submissions to ensure clarity and completeness
- Reviews created conflicts reports to identify potential conflicts, risk management issues, anti-money laundering concerns, practice management issues, and client relationship issues
- Prepares detailed disclosure reports that identify potential conflicts, risk management issues, anti-money laundering concerns, practice management issues, client relationship issues and communicates directly with requesting attorney
- Elevates potential conflicts, risk management issues, anti-money laundering concerns, practice management issues, and client relationship issues to Director of Conflicts/New Business, Conflicts and Ethics Counsel, Business Acceptance Counsel and/or Assistant General Counsel
- Routinely updates submitting attorney during the conflict resolution process and documents current status of the conflict resolution process in real time via the firm’s conflicts workflow software (Intapp Open).
- Assists Conflicts and Ethics Counsel and submitting attorney with drafting waivers, engagement letters and other non-standard client communications as needed
- Responsible for the review of complex former client/prior work/material limitation issues at the request of Director of Conflicts/New Business and/or Conflicts and Ethics Counsel
- Responsible for performing the appropriate level of client due diligence for new clients in all jurisdictions the firm operates in to ensure all anti-money laundering concerns have been identified, vetted, and resolved.
- Becomes fully proficient in searching and creating reports in the conflicts database via the firm’s conflicts workflow software (Intapp Open)
- Maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in connection with firm representations
- Assists Director of Conflicts/New Business, Conflicts and Ethics Counsel and other members of the Conflicts Department with other tasks and projects as assigned
Perform other duties as assigned
Essential Job Specifications/Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Ability to identify and analyze complex conflicts issues and to recommend and implement solutions
- Ability to compile and analyze complex data and furnish concise, detailed information in written report format
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills with an aptitude for problem solving
- Demonstrates success in written and verbal communication, and organizational skills
- Team focused attitude toward other members of the Conflicts Department, and strong customer service driven attitude towards assisting attorneys and other members of the firm
- Remains confident in a high demand, fast-paced environment with an aptitude for multi-tasking and able to effectively communicate with firm lawyers
- Ability to be flexible and comfortable in an environment with continuous “on the job learning”
- Comfortable working independently with an ability to exercise judgment regarding when to elevate issues
- Flexibility regarding work hours and schedule, including a willingness to work over-time as necessary
- Proficiency with Windows-based software such as Microsoft Office Suite required
- Aptitude for learning a wide range of conflicts specific software required
- Requires the ability to regularly report to work on the days and times scheduled
Decision Making/Problem Solving
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities, but does serve as a coach for other positions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is largely a sedentary role.
NOTE: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minimal travel required for this position.
- Juris Doctor degree required
- Previous conflicts or law firm risk management experience strongly preferred
- Previous large law firm experience involving analytical reasoning or researching skills preferred
- Experience with conflicts client intake related software preferred
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent in the position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills of the employee. Duties and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.