Berlin Packaging is the nation’s premier supplier of rigid packaging and packaging components. We are a $2.6 billion-dollar company with 30+ straight years of record growth.
Don’t know what makes the rigid packaging industry special? Well, chances are you enjoy products supplied by Berlin Packaging every day! Imagine yourself walking into your favorite big-box store. Take a mental look around and think about every glass, plastic, or metal package you see. Berlin Packaging touches virtually every market: automotive, beverage, food, home care, industrial chemical, pet care and veterinary, personal health and beauty, wine and spirits, and now, cannabis too.
Next, combine that with an award-winning culture. Our 1,000+ employees are high-performing – and importantly, collaborative – entrepreneurs who blow through obstacles and embody an “Anything is Possible!” mindset. We love it here. Our engagement scores are 3x the national average. And every single employee shares in Berlin’s profitable growth.
Now you understand why since 1898, our 100+ year-old company has grown 10x faster than our industry!
And we’re not done yet.
In order to continue our record growth streak, we need people like YOU to join our team! Are you up for a unique opportunity to lead the Employment Law function and grow at a well-established, rapidly expanding global organization? If so, Berlin Packaging is seeking to hire a Corporate Counsel, Employment who will primarily be responsible for providing strategic legal guidance and counseling on all matters pertaining to employment law and compliance in North America, where Berlin Packaging has offices in sixteen U.S. states and two Canadian provinces.
This is a newly created role within a small Legal Department in a fast growing, entrepreneurial environment. This attorney will provide support to other areas of Berlin Packaging’s legal operations as needed, including our transactions workflow.
As you develop and progress the employment law practice at Berlin Packaging, there will be opportunities to assist on a variety of other legal matters within other areas of the business, including privacy and global security, marketing and advertising, eCommerce, mergers and acquisitions, and dispute resolution. This role is a great opportunity for an attorney with substantive experience in employment law, who has a strong interest and desire to learn and develop knowledge and skills in new areas of the law.
For more information about Berlin Packaging, please visit our website at: https://www.berlinpackaging.com
- Provide day-to-day strategic legal advice and counsel on a broad range of employment matters, including terminations, wage and hour compliance, recruiting and hiring, employee relations, restrictive covenants, employment policies, ethics/hotline reporting, discrimination and harassment, protected leaves and reasonable accommodations, compensation and benefits, immigration, employee data privacy, and compliance will all applicable laws and regulations, including the Fair Labor Standards Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act and Equal Pay Act.
- Partner closely with Human Resources to evaluate legal risks and collaborate on global employment and ethics matters with other internal stakeholders throughout the Company, including Senior Leadership Team and Function and Regional leadership.
- Proactively conduct risk assessments and identify compliance and/or labor and employment risks – and then mitigate those risks effectively by, for example, developing, maintaining and revising existing practices, forms, and policies and working constructively with stakeholders
- Support and assist in internal investigations and respond to claims, demand letters, administrative complaints, audits, and other employment related inquiries
- Draft, review, and negotiate employment related agreements, including employment contracts and offer letters, restrictive covenants agreements, temporary staffing agency agreements, vendor agreements, consulting agreements, separation agreements, and confidentiality agreements.
- Periodically review and revise existing employment related agreement templates for changes in applicable law
- Help to develop and implement scalable self-service tools, templates, and processes for the HR and Operations teams as the Company grows
- Manage annual employee compliance program and certification, including by coordinating reviews and revisions to employee policies and collaborating on mandatory and recommended trainings.
- Perform due diligence and advise on labor, employment and benefits aspects of M&A projects as needed
- Handling and resolving employment claims and litigation, including managing outside counsel in a cost-effective manner where support is needed
- Assisting on other matters within Legal Department as needed
- Exercise good judgment and recognize when to ask for help or escalate issues
- Fulfill employee portion of the “Berlin Values.”
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- J.D. degree from an accredited top tier law school required
- Licensed to practice law in Illinois or ability to register as in-house counsel in Illinois
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in the practice of employment law; previous in-house legal department experience strongly preferred
- Willingness and desire to assist in other legal matters unrelated to employment law and ability to learn quickly
- Strong substantive knowledge and understanding of various federal and state (including Illinois and California) employment laws on a variety of issues; prior experience with non-US employment-related matters a plus
- Prior experience drafting and negotiating employment-related contracts
- Proven track record of providing pragmatic and reasoned legal advice to HR and business partners
- Substantive knowledge and/or experience of additional areas of law (e.g., commercial contracts, privacy law, intellectual property law, mergers and acquisitions, consumer protection, etc.) a plus
- Demonstrated success working in a fast-paced, sales-driven culture preferred
- Attention to detail and quality
- Must be service-oriented and proactive with the ability to provide rapid, practical, business-oriented advice directly to business units
- Strong, clear, concise verbal and written communication skills that can adapt based on the audience; comfort in communicating to senior management and internal clients at all levels of the organization
- Must be able to handle confidential and sensitive information
- Excellent judgment and high level of integrity and professionalism
Berlin offers an outstanding compensation and benefits package including profit sharing, 401(k) with company match, medical insurance (including an HSA option and telemedicine), dental, vision, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, health club reimbursement, tuition reimbursement, 529 college savings plan, employee assistance, smoking cessation program, pet insurance, employee discounts, employee referral bonus program, and, last but not least, flexible spending accounts for transportation, medical, and dependent care.
Berlin Packaging provides equal employment opportunities for all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, marital status, military service and veteran status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances.