Amwell is a leading telehealth platform in the United States and globally, connecting and enabling providers, insurers, patients, and innovators to deliver greater access to more affordable, higher quality care. Amwell believes that digital care delivery will transform healthcare. We offer a single, comprehensive platform to support all telehealth needs from urgent to acute and post-acute care, as well as chronic care management and healthy living. With over a decade of experience, Amwell powers telehealth solutions for over 240 health systems comprised of 2,000 hospitals and 55 health plan partners with over 36,000 employers, covering over 150 million lives.
The Litigation & Employment Counsel will play a critical role in the Legal department. This individual will work closely with Amwell’s teams, helping those Amwell achieve their goals in intelligent and practical ways.
Specifically, the Litigation & Employment Counsel will:
- Provide timely and practical day-to-day guidance to Human Resources team members and business leaders on a variety of employment topics, including hiring, performance management, employee relations, leaves of absence and accommodations, wage and hour, workplace safety regulations (OSHA), discipline and termination, compensation and benefits.
- Manage employment and commercial related litigation, including responding to attorney demand letters, effectively negotiating resolution of claims, managing outside counsel and making recommendations to senior management on corrective action.
- Review and enhance employee policies, procedures, handbooks, and training to ensure compliance with applicable employment and labor laws. Monitor changes employment and labor regulations and advise the Chief People Officer and General Counsel about necessary programmatic changes.
- Play a key role in driving Company’s advocacy efforts at the federal and state level; support senior executives with respect to the foregoing and manage engagement of outside consultants and advocacy groups
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, excellent judgment, strategic thinking and business acumen. Ability to quickly analyze and propose a course of action.
- Ability to work effectively with people across all levels to build cross-functional relationships
- Executive presence, including excellent written and presentation skills
- Energized by a wide scope of responsibilities, open to possibilities, and a proactive, can-do attitude.
- Strong understanding of labor & employment laws; experience negotiating employment and termination terms with employees/prospects
- Able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, focusing on critical priorities in a fast paced, and high stress work environment.
- Strong work ethic and ability to produce high quality work under deadline pressures.
- Honesty, integrity, and a clear appreciation for the confidentiality of the work we do.
- Minimum of 4-7 years of labor & employment law experience – in house experience not required, large law firm experience a plus
- Interest and experience in advocacy and government
- A license to practice law in the United States, with strong academic credentials
The goal of Amwell’s in-house legal team is to minimize risk, facilitate transactions and ensure compliance. By listening, advising, working collaboratively and problem solving, we help our employees make the effective and thoughtful decisions needed for American Well to continue to grow and mature.
Key Areas of Focus for the Legal Department include:
- Corporate governance
- Commercial transactional support
- Corporate transactional support
- Managing intellectual property portfolio
- Regulatory compliance
- Shareholder relations
Working at Amwell
We strive to make the hard work of healthcare look easy. In order to make this a reality, we look for people with a fast-paced, mission-driven mentality. We’re a go-getter culture that prides itself on quality, efficiency, smarts, initiative, creative thinking, and a strong work ethic. Our corporate headquarters are located in downtown Boston at 75 State Street –in the heart of the city. In addition to the opportunity to build the future of healthcare technology and a great location, we offer:
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- 401K match
- Competitive health, dental and vision insurance plans
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- On-site gym – free to use and open 24/7
- Prime office space with roof deck access and views overlooking all of Boston
- Café lounge stocked with a wide range of complimentary snacks, coffee and other beverages.