- Must have 3+ years of experience in a fast-paced law firm as a civil litigation legal assistant/legal secretary (personal Injury experience preferred).
- Candidate must be self-starting with a “hit the ground running” work ethic.
- Experience with case intake/opening.
- Experience managing deadlines and ensuring attorneys meet same.
- Experience with filing and service in California superior, federal and appellate courts.
- Knowledge of rules relating to service and filing of pleadings and discovery.
- Familiarity with expert designation and deposition process.
- Familiarity with trial-triggered deadlines.
- Candidate must be comfortable with client/insurance carrier contact via email and phone.
- Candidate must have trial preparation experience, including preparation, service and filing of trial documents, motions in limine, and preparation of exhibit binders.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word/Outlook/Excel).
Macdonald & Cody’s Atmosphere Includes:
- Casual attire Monday through Friday.
- Work-life balance promoted.
- Overtime not required.
- Great team-oriented work environment.
- Offers opportunities to grow personally & professionally.
- Compensation commensurate with experience.
- Employer-paid healthcare.
- 401k with employer matching.
- 10 paid Holidays per year.
- Paid time off.
About Macdonald & Cody, LLP:
We founded Macdonald & Cody, LLP to provide effective, efficient and creative legal representation for our clients. The true strength and rareness of Macdonald & Cody, LLP is the firm’s founding partners, Scott Macdonald and Michael Cody. Together, Mr. Macdonald and Mr. Cody have over 40 collective years of litigation experience, a majority of which has been spent in the practice of insurance defense in California. We have an extensive breadth of knowledge and experience handling the following types of cases: • Automobile and homeowner bodily injury/property damage – first and third party claims; • Commercial general liability; • Construction defect; • Professional liability, including medical malpractice and errors and omissions; and • Employment practices liability – including wrongful termination, sexual harassment and discrimination Together, we have tried over 50 cases to verdict throughout our careers – the majority of which were jury trials. Mr. Macdonald is a member of ABOTA (American Board of Trial Advocates), which further recognizes his exceptional skills as a trial lawyer. While recognizing there are cases that need to go to trial, our reputation among the plaintiff’s bar and our proven track record of obtaining successful results at trial helps to facilitate settlement of cases prior to trial when appropriate. We specialize in taking over cases weeks or even days before trial commences, and we have significant experience taking over cases from counsel where little or no work-up has been done while still providing exceptional results whether through trial or settlement.