1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: Xylem is looking for a dynamic data privacy lawyer to serve as a key member of the legal team with responsibility for providing leadership and management of Xylem’s global data privacy program. This person will report to the Vice President, General Counsel Compliance & Ethics.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the VP, General Counsel Compliance & Ethics to develop and implement strategies, global standards, policies and processes for Xylem’s global data privacy compliance program, including GDPR compliance
- Collaborate cross-functionally with colleagues to drive implementation of the program
- Proactively build relationships throughout Xylem to gain key partner and stakeholder support and commitment
- Communicate regularly with key stakeholders on strategy, developments, and trends; implement systemic solutions that address strategy and trends
- Collaborate with team members to advise on data privacy matters related to products and offerings
- Serve as the main contact for external data privacy attorneys and external Data Privacy Officer (DPO); manage relationships and spend with the DPO and with external counsel across the globe
- Develop, rollout, and conduct generic and role specific privacy trainings
- Build data privacy capabilities and awareness across Xylem, including by supporting training, problem-solving and knowledge development
- Draft, negotiate, and advise on impact assessments, data process agreements and data privacy terms in commercial agreements and advise on other privacy concerns, including in connection with onboarding vendors and other third parties
- Advise the organization on data privacy matters, including related to partnerships and acquisitions
- Stay current and advise on regulatory and industry developments, including monitoring trends in privacy and security laws, regulations and public policy
- Think strategically and assist with proactive management of data privacy risk
- Utilize understanding of broader legal, regulatory, and market risks and trends to influence development of legal strategy and proactively re-evaluate and re-prioritize tasks, projects and strategic objectives based on such information
- In conjunction with the security team and others, assist in supporting investigations into reported or observed data privacy incidents to ensure expeditious resolution
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor’s degree and JD from an ABA accredited law school
- Admitted to and in good standing with a state bar
- 3+ years of privacy and data protection experience at a top law firm or in-house practice
- Direct experience advising on US and European privacy laws, regulations, and industry guidelines
- Strong critical and commercial thinking skills with a commitment to open communication and exchange of views
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, ability to work well independently and cross functionally
- Must be a team player with the ability to take on complex problems and responsibilities
- Ability to work with minimal supervision on multiple, simultaneous and complex assignments while meeting deadlines and managing competing priorities consistent with Xylem’s and the legal teams’ objectives
- Ability to manage a budget and resources
- Ability to make risk-based decisions at the speed of business by leveraging relevant quantitative and qualitative information, taking into account both internal and external stakeholder views
- Pragmatic and solutions-oriented with a commitment to continuous improvement
- Flexibility to travel ~15-25%
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 (overtime required as needed)
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.