- City: Princeton
- Country: USA
- Region: North America
The Legal & M&A function aims at creating added value to the Group by providing, managing and coordinating quality legal service to the business community, the functions and the management in view of minimizing the Group’s legal risk and costs, reduce litigation exposure, and ensure legal compliance. It is the goal of our function and to do so efficiently, expeditiously, reliably and with professional integrity. Our areas of practice are: competition and antitrust, contracts and complex negotiations, corporate, labor and employment, environmental, litigation, M&A, regulatory law, real estate and social security.
Job Overview and Responsibilities
Key Day-to-Day responsibilities:
- The following activities are illustrative and not meant to be an exhaustive list.
- Manage aspects of complex environmental litigation pending across the US, including working directly with outside counsel;
- Advise and assist in managing Legal Holds, document/data retention and collections to support discovery in multiple litigations across US;
- Review and revise discovery responses; liaise with business to obtain responsive information;
- Review and revise drafts of documents, including legal, technical, product stewardship and internal/external communications;
- Manage general commercial litigation matters, such as tort claims, contract disputes, and personal injury claims;
- Provide legal support to business for regulatory agency inspections;
- Identify and address operating permit issues;
- Support environmental investigation and remediation demands;
- Actively participate in discussions and technical meetings with business and technical teams;
- Coordinate necessary meetings with the US interdisciplinary team (or sub-groups of that team), the business and outside counsel;
- Conduct internal due diligence regarding historical operations;
- Conduct initial legal research as necessary for new issues.
Education and Experience
- In addition, candidates should be able to offer:
- Excellent judgment, particularly in determining the significance of legal matters and effectively measuring and minimizing risks;
- Practical, business-focused advice within scope of responsibilities, including providing informed cost/benefit analysis when identifying risks;
- Strong organizational skills in order to prioritize and manage multiple time-sensitive projects simultaneously; willingness to assume heavy workload to meet timing and project needs;
- Scheduling flexibility to support matters outside normal business hours, when necessary;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, with ability to synthesize complex legal issues to essential elements for clients throughout the organization with different goals and responsibilities;
- Strong interpersonal skills, including diplomacy and flexibility, and the ability to interface effectively with personnel at many different levels throughout the Company and in different geographic regions (varying time zones, English language skills, etc.);
- Ability to work as part of a large team;
- Ability to assume complex projects, create and present a plan of action, and independently manage projects to favorable resolution or conclusion;
- Ability to maintain high level of integrity of confidential and sensitive information and credibility within the organization;
- Comfort with decision-making responsibilities, when necessary.