Who We Are
Collaborative. Respectful. A place to dream and do. These are just a few words that describe what life is like at Toyota. As one of the world’s most admired brands, Toyota is growing and leading the future of mobility through innovative, high-quality solutions designed to enhance lives and delight those we serve. We’re looking for diverse, talented team members who want to Dream. Do. Grow. with us.
Who We’re Looking For
Toyota’s Legal Department (Toyota Legal One, or TL1) is looking for a passionate and highly motivated Business Litigation and Warranty/Lemon Law Managing Counsel.
The primary responsibility of this role is to assist in managing a warranty/lemon law trial docket and handle other consumer-related claims and business litigation matters.
Reporting to the Assistant General Counsel in Litigation, the person in this role will support TL1’s objective to strategically oversee and manage warranty and lemon law trials, litigation and pre-litigation matters, claims, and class actions, and provide best in class legal service and advice to internal business clients.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Support in managing warranty/lemon law litigation, with responsibilities including:
- Overseeing trial docket, motions, and appeals
- Managing discovery, eDiscovery, and discovery processes
- Providing attorney guidance to paralegal case managers
- Partnering with outside counsel to achieve effective and efficient case handling
- Communicating regularly with management and other stakeholders
- Manage other warranty/lemon law and claims-related business litigation matters, including consumer class actions.
- Advise and support on other product and consumer-related legal matters including pre-litigation claims, subpoenas, demand letters, inquiries from regulators and government, etc.
- Provide legal advice, counsel, and support to a variety of business units regarding customer claims, warranty/lemon law, advertising, product regulation and compliance, dealer and distributor-related product matters, and team member training.
- Handle special projects and other matters as requested to support the Litigation Group and TL1.
What You Bring
- Juris Doctor degree from an ABA-accredited law school
- Admission to the Texas State Bar, or admission to another U.S. state bar and able to obtain a license to practice in Texas
- Litigation experience at a major law firm and/or corporate law department
- Extensive experience in all aspects of trial and litigation management, including risk assessment, strategy development, discovery, motion practice, settlement evaluation, mediation, arbitration, appeals, and selection and management of outside counsel and experts
- Ability to manage and adapt to busy, high-volume portfolio of active litigation, pre-litigation claims, and business client requests for legal advice, including time-sensitive and high-priority matters
- Demonstrated ability to lead and support paralegals and other non-attorney case handlers
- Strong sense of inclusion and teamwork, and demonstrated ability to support and collaborate with colleagues and business partners
- Strong customer focus and interpersonal skills
- Strong drafting and communications skills
- Strong analytical, organizational, and process-development skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Ability and willingness to travel 15% of the time
Added Bonus If You Have
- Significant experience in automotive and warranty/lemon law matters
- Significant experience in consumer class actions
What We’ll Bring
During your interview process, our team can fill you in on all the details of our industry-leading benefits and career development opportunities. A few highlights include:
- A work environment built on teamwork, flexibility and respect
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career, as well as tuition reimbursement
- Vehicle purchase & lease programs
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans for your entire family
- Flextime and virtual work options (if applicable)
- Toyota 401(k) Savings Plan featuring a company match, as well as an annual retirement contribution from Toyota regardless of whether you contribute
- Paid holidays and paid time off
- Referral services related to prenatal services, adoption, childcare, schools and more
- Flexible spending accounts
- Relocation assistance (if applicable)
Belonging At Toyota
Our success begins and ends with our people. We embrace diverse perspectives and value unique human experiences. Respect for all is our North Star. Toyota is proud to have 10+ different Business Partnering Groups across 100 different North American chapter locations that support team members’ efforts to dream, do and grow without questioning that they belong. As a company that has been one of DiversityInc’s Top 50 Companies for Diversity and a member of The Billion Dollar Roundtable supporting minority and woman-owned suppliers for over 10 years, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates the diversity of the communities where we live and do business.
Applicants for our positions are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, religion, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics.
Have a question or need assistance with your application? Check out the How to Apply section of our careers page on Toyota.com
To save time applying, Toyota does not offer sponsorship of job applicants for employment-based visas or any other work authorization for this position at this time.