Woodruff Sawyer is looking for a paralegal/contract specialist who will help grow our Legal Team. If you would like to be part of an expanding company and team helping to shape internal legal policy, proactively managing risk and identifying legal and business issues, reviewing, drafting, negotiating and monitoring the lifecycle of contracts, and being an integral part of strategic solutions to facilitate the company’s growth and expansion, then this is the opportunity for you!
Who We Are:
You may not have heard of Woodruff Sawyer unless your job has been to buy insurance, manage the risk of a high-profile technology startup, secure benefits for a global biotech firm, or make sure your three-generations-old construction company survives.
At Woodruff Sawyer, we are passionate about serving clients in a way no one else in the commercial insurance industry can match. We are unparalleled in customer satisfaction and retention rates, which is one of the reasons we have been in business for over 100 years.
As one of the largest independent insurance brokerage and consulting firms in the U.S., Woodruff Sawyer protects the people and assets of more than 4,000 companies. We provide expert counsel and fierce advocacy to protect clients against their most critical risks in property & casualty, management liability, cyber liability, employee benefits, and personal wealth management. We provide expertise and customized solutions where clients need it, with headquarters in San Francisco, offices throughout, California the US, and global reach on six continents. We have created a culture where talented individuals can make a big impact. We are passionate about what we do for our clients and we have created an environment where our employees can grow and succeed both personally and professionally.
- Provide guidance and assistance to the Legal Team, working with the VP of Legal Affairs and Corporate Counsel.
- Collaborate with the Legal Team, Compliance Team, Cyber Security Team, IT team and the Operations Team, along with leadership and stakeholders as necessary.
- Be responsible for contract administration, including drafting, revising, and managing contracts for review by other members of the Legal Team, including nondisclosure agreements, client service agreements, business associate agreements, agency agreements, and similar documents.
- Manage and utilize contract management systems.
- Timely monitor and advise on contractual deadlines.
- Ensure that terms of contracts are in accordance with Company policies, applicable federal and state regulations and laws, business needs, and work to minimize the Company’s risks and exposure.
- Assist Company to track and fulfill terms of contracts, including renewal, termination, data and privacy requirements.
- Communicate and work with outside counsel as necessary.
- Communicate and work with carrier counsel as necessary.
- Provide assistance with litigation.
- Modify or make recommendations to improve company procedures and processes.
- Research and advise on special issues.
- Conduct legal and internet research as directed.
- Route documents for signatures via DocuSign or its equivalent to internal and external stakeholders.
- Create processes and workflows that ensure productivity and conformance to Company best practices.
- A bachelor’s degree, a paralegal certification, and a contract administration certification to practice in California.
- A minimum of 4-5 years of career experience as a paralegal and/or contract specialist.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in-house in a paralegal or contract specialist position.
- Experience with insurance companies, insurance brokerages, or related industries.
- Experience with data security & privacy laws and their relationship to non-disclosure agreements, vendor agreements, business associate agreements, client service agreements and agency agreements.
- Experience reviewing, negotiating, and drafting contracts.
- Experience responding to subpoenas, including interviewing custodians, data collection and production, and e-discovery.
- Strong proofing skills, are detail oriented, able to work in a fast-paced environment, and self-motivated.
- The ability and willingness to provide general administrative support to Legal Team.
- Proficiency at conducting research on Lexis.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate in person, by Zoom, by telephone and email, and in writing, with all levels of the organization including management, peers, and clients.
- The ability to multi-task, complete assignments in a timely fashion, meet deadlines, and manage time effectively.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and database management.
- The ability to proactively identify and manage legal and business risks and issues, propose solutions, and actively participate in Company’s strategic growth and expansion.
- You can apprise, consult and escalate current and potential risks/issues to supervisors.
- You have proven problem solving skills with an analytical and business savvy approach.