The role of Staff Counsel is a full-time, attorney position within Asurion’s Legal Regulatory Filings Team with responsibility for managing Asurion’s regulatory state filing process for service contracts and inland marine insurance rates and forms, including the analysis, drafting and preparation of service contracts and insurance policies and responses to inquiries from state regulators regarding the filings and Asurion’s business model. Staff Counsel will be responsible for working with internal and external partners to ensure that such materials are drafted and issued in a manner that protects the company and its partners from legal risk while effectively meeting the business purposes for which they are intended. In addition, this attorney will be involved in Asurion’s rate testing and documentation processes and will assist in other client and/or program specific projects as needed.
The ideal candidate will be a dynamic team player, with strong attention to detail, excellent problem-solving and decision-making skills, strong time management, and strong writing skills. Experience in insurance and technology industries is a plus, and the candidate should have a minimum of 3+ years of experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Portable Electronics Insurance (PEI), service contract and ancillary product development and implementation experience.
- Must have strong analytical skills and the ability to effectively interact with state regulatory agencies and internal and external partners.
- Legal drafting and analysis, as well as skills in statutory and regulatory interpretation and analysis.
- Strong writing skills and the ability to construct written responses that are clear, accurate, persuasive and responsive to regulator’s inquiries.
- Accurately assesses and manages risk through knowledge of Asurion’s business and relevant legal issues, including reconciling the implication of past precedent with current and future needs.
- Develops thorough understanding of Asurion’s business, processes and goals to provide innovative legal solutions that solve unique or challenging problems.
- Establish strong collaborative relationships with both external partners and internal cross functional internal teams, including legal, program management, and underwriting.
- Project or teamwork experience.
- Analyzes and stays current with state and federal laws, regulations for insurance, service contracts and warranty, consumer protection requirements and insurance filings requirements; and serves as a technical expert in these area(s) of practice.
- Demonstrates good analytical skills and judgment to evaluate factual and qualitative information in complicated or novel situations.
- Conducts legal research projects with inside resources and periodic reviews of internal processes to ensure compliance with State requirements.
- Perform other duties and tasks assigned by the supervising attorney and/or other internal stakeholders.
- Occasional travel.
Here’s what you’ll bring to the team:
- J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school and admission to the bar
- 3+ years of experience
- Strong writing skills
- Previous regulatory compliance or insurance, service contract and consumer protection experience a plus
- General knowledge of insurance or consumer protection policies, regulations, practices and requirements
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively understand, consider and address the client or business while mitigating risk exposure
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Must possess strong judgment, confidence, collaborative problem-solving skills, and ability to spot potential issues quickly
- Must be highly organized and process-oriented, with direct experience in establishing processes, protocols, and evaluating the integration of technology to create work efficiencies.
- Must be able to independently handle and direct others on the management of hard deadlines.
- Must be able to advise a team on how to prioritize work and deliverables to ensure on-time response to a large variety of changing demands/requests/requirements
- Aptitude and motivation for staying current with regulatory changes in insurance, service contract and consumer protection regulations