- managing actual and potential litigation and enforcement matters, including internal reviews and investigations related to such matters
- advising on products and services, including contract negotiation and documentation
- advising on offering and marketing documents and new business initiatives
- managing dispute resolution
- interpreting existing laws, rules and regulations, and advising on changes thereto
- advising on advocacy in connection with contemplated and proposed laws, rules and regulations, and
- providing legal advice to the Board of Directors, the business and functions. Legal selects, engages and manages outside counsel for the Firm on all matters in which outside counsel is engaged.
The successful candidate will be a member of the Consumer Banking Shared Services Legal Team, which provides dedicated legal support to various operational areas that handle legal requests impacting consumer accounts, including but not limited to matters involving guardianship and deceased customer accounts, fulfillment of third-party subpoenas and asset-based orders, processing federal benefits reclamations and state-wide reporting of unclaimed property, as well as areas that support branch services such as notary and safe deposit boxes. The role will require learning about each of the Firm’s lines of business, as well as developing expertise in the various subject areas the team covers. The successful candidate will interact with business and litigation partners, outside counsel, and law enforcement and government agencies. The position requires the ability to coordinate with legal and non-legal staff to provide sound and practical legal counsel in complex situations that arise in a fast paced and high-volume environment.
The preferred location for the position is Columbus, Ohio. Secondary location: Plano, Texas.
The selected applicant must be able to:
- Develop subject matter expertise in assigned areas and provide strategic and practical legal advice and support various operational areas that handle matters involving asset-based orders, federal benefits reclamations, deceased customer account processing, guardianship issues, notary questions and practices, safe deposit box issues, subpoena handling and compliance and unclaimed property issues;
- Collaborate with other functional partners to ensure appropriate awareness of issues as they arise and assist in resolving matters and driving forward initiatives
- Advise and collaborate with colleagues across the Legal and Compliance Departments
- Handle escalated matters, projects and initiatives from various operational areas, including areas that have firm-wide and cross line of business coverage
- Monitor and advise business partners and legal colleagues on relevant legislative and regulatory changes
- Partner with control and oversight groups to create and maintain best practices for controls in this area
- Manage external counsel
- JD admitted to practice in and member of the bar in good standing in the state in which the candidate will practice.
- 5+ years of legal experience in a large consumer banking organization, law firm, or equivalent, as well as relevant experience in government, law enforcement or a regulatory agency, representing such organizations with a demonstrated record of increasing responsibility
- Both civil and criminal litigation experience preferred with a strong understanding of the rules of civil and criminal procedure
- Team player with a natural ability to think and act collaboratively with legal and non-legal colleagues and stakeholders across lines of business
- Strong decision-making skills and ability to multitask and effectively manage multiple matters and projects simultaneously in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment
- As trusted legal advisor, foster and maintain strong client relationships with ability to see past the question and understand greater impacts or risks
- Excellent analytical skills and judgment, including the ability to interpret, explain and apply statutes and regulations
- Excellent oral and written communication and negotiation skills
- Knowledge and understanding of banking products and services and the relevant core banking regulations and regulatory framework for a large banking organization such as JPMorgan Chase preferred
- Experience with digital, electronic and mobile banking and transactions is preferred
- Non-English language skills preferred
- Attorney candidates must be in compliance with all relevant licensing requirements including the requirements of the jurisdiction where the role will be located prior to commencement of employment.
- All candidates for roles in the Legal department must successfully complete a conflicts of interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment.
JPMorgan Chase offers an exceptional benefits program and a highly competitive compensation package.
JPMorgan Chase is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/D/V.JPMorgan Chase & Co., one of the oldest financial institutions, offers innovative financial solutions to millions of consumers, small businesses and many of the world’s most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under the J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Our history spans over 200 years and today we are a leader in investment banking, consumer and small business banking, commercial banking, financial transaction processing and asset management.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veterans